Many thanks to all who attended our EIA Workshop in July 2019 and particularly to Tim O’Sullivan BL, Sinead Martyn, Margaret Austin and Paul Scott for delivering the workshop.
Our next meeting will be held in Autumn 2019. Details will be circulated to members.
This website offers Association members a key source of information on environmental and planning law. Members can login to the Member’s Section at the bottom-right of the page, where copies of written papers and podcasts of all presentations delivered to members, are available. Membership is comprised of legal practitioners, industry/NGO members, state bodies, academic professionals and persons generally interested in the law as it relates to the environment and the planning system in Ireland.
The Association holds quarterly meetings, at which a guest speaker addresses matters of topical importance to members. Recent presentations to the association have included the following:
- The Hon. Mr Justice Frank Clarke, Chief Justice
- Niall Cussen, Ireland’s first Planning Regulator, on the Office of the Planning Regulator
- Richard Harwood QC on the implications of ‘Brexit’ for EU and UK planning and environmental law
- Peter Tyndall, the Commissioner for Environmental Information, on the Access to Information on the Environment
- Sean Guerin, Senior Counsel, on environmental prosecutions
- Professor Yvonne Scannell on Reforming the Planning System
- Nuala Butler, Senior Counsel, on Attempts to Regulate Quarries under the Planning Acts
- Dr Aine Ryall on the Aarhus Convention and Access to Environmental Justice
- Laura Burke, Director General of the EPA, on addressing Climate Change
There are further short updates on each of the following key topics for the planning and environmental law practitioner:
- Irish Legislative Developments since the last meeting; updates delivered by James Kane BL
- European law developments, including recent ECJ decisions, legislative developments, and news from the Council of Ministers (Environment); updates delivered by Aoife Carroll BL
- Recent decisions of the Superior Courts of Ireland relating to environmental and planning law; updates delivered by Tim O’Sullivan BL
Association meetings are enlivened by healthy debate between members and the speakers on the topical matters of discussion and are therefore a very useful source of information for those interested in environmental law, particularly for practitioners, academics and those representing interest groups. Meetings are typically held in the Law School of Trinity College Dublin, although the location varies from time to time. Attendance qualifies for CPD points.
New members are welcome at any time, please click here for information on how to join the IELA.